Sunday, June 19, 2022

I just shredded a print.

 I just shredded a print that I made the other day.

I hate it when that happens.

I tried my best in the darkroom and it wasn’t enough.

An acquaintance had the privilege of attending the last workshop that was led by the great Ruth Bernhard – renowned both as a photographer and as a teacher.  Part of the workshop was, as usual, a review of the portfolio the student brought to the workshop.  He said that Ms. Bernhard went through the 20 or so prints making perceptive comments about each but came back several times to one print.  She asked him more and more penetrating questions about it and he grew more and more uncomfortable with his answers.

She finally said: “You like this print a lot, don’t you?”

yes

You really want it to work, don’t you?

yes

You know in your heart that is doesn’t, don’t you.”

Long pause – “yes

Editing your own work is the hardest bit of the entire creative process.  I knew in my heart that the print I shredded “didn’t work”.  I had printed it a couple of times earlier – it didn’t work then either but I didn’t shred it.  Instead I put it aside with the hope of trying again.  I liked it a lot.  I wanted it to work.  But it didn’t.  It was time to give up and press on.

That isn’t always the case.  Another print in my “try again” box did work this time. 

"Marche Rue Edgar Quinet, Paris 2014"


2 comments:

  1. Your picture that didn’t work was fascinating to me. It caught a moment that told a story but somehow it wasn’t clear to me what that story was. I finally decided that there was more than one story that you didn’t know so you were unable
    to sort through all the delicious stories to tell why you were so attracted to this image. Clearly the adorable Mom and child walking right toward the middle aisle of this
    crowd attracted your eye, and you caught it perfectly. You were attracted with the light on the backs of the pedestrians compared with what seemed to me to be the kind of scary darkness that the people sitting projected. The differences between those two images were so mysterious and your shot added to the mystery rather than trying to help your viewers, like me, understand it. Am I way off in this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quite right that what attracted me was the mom and girl cheerfully (even from the rear) going to the market. I would have been happier if the market area was sharper -- and that's what gave it the "darkness" that you called out. The difficult technical issue in printing it was getting enough contrast in the market area to identify it as a market, not just a jumble. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete